Most of us are crazy about D.I.Y. cosmetics and products but I’m not sure how many of them work or how many of them are actually good for us. Few days ago I came up with this D.I.Y. hair serum and thought of trying it out and it actually worked. This serum is very simple and the ingredients needed are really available at reasonable rate. The best part of this serum is that it works and has no side effects.
I made a small batch of this serum and poured it into a reusable glass bottle, spray bottle may work if it is diluted into water type of consistency which I did not do. It has a nice fragrance and you can use essential oils of your choice for the fragrance you need.
- Aloe Vera gel
- Vitamin E oil capsules
- Grape-seed oil
- In the bottle add Aloe Vera gel as much as needed and remember it’s the base of this serum. I filled almost 3/4th of the bottle with it.
- Add 3-4 capsules of vitamin E oil to it.
- Add few drops of grape-seed oil. It adds the fragrance as well as has other properties as it is an essential oil. Any other essential oil can be added in place of this for fragrance. I added around 1 tsp of it to the above mixture.
- Mix all the contents till it blends. The Aloe Vera gel may lose its transparency and look whitish after it’s mixed and that’s completely normal. Don’t worry the consistency may look thick but once you pour it on your palm to apply, it you will realize how light and non-sticky it is.
How to use:
It can be used on dry hair but I prefer using it after I wash and condition my hair. I towel dry it till the excess water is absorbed by the towel and then apply this serum on semi-wet hair. pour little in your palm and rub it, apply it on your hair and comb through it with your fingers.
- I used Patanjali Aloe Vera gel but you can use any store bought gel. I did not use it directly from plant because the humidity here may spoil it if I keep it for a long time. Some people also have allergy so please don’t take a risk. I didn’t apply this on my scalp but if you want to then please do a patch test before applying it on your scalp.
- Coconut oil or Jojoba oil or a mixture of it can be used in place of grape-seed oil. You can use other oils along with the above mentioned ingredients but just keep in mind that the oil content should be 5% or less of that of Aloe Vera gel or it may make your hair oily and sticky.
- I need not tell you the benefits of the ingredients as you all may obviously know how we already use the ingredients in various ways for their skin or hair care or styling or in cosmetics.
- This is not a heat resistant serum, so do not use this in place of hair resistant spray. I didn’t find any bad effects in it, all it does is soften the hair and tames your hair if you’re tying it or styling it.
- I noticed that it reduced the tangles and made my hair manageable.
- People with wavy hair will surely be happy as it makes your hair manageable and you can tie it easily. Instead of oil which can be sticky at times and makes your face oily during summers but this serum will be blessing for such hair. I have wavy hair and this helped me tuck in those lose strands and soften my hair making my hair smooth.
- If you’re worried about rough hair then this is definitely for you.
- As it hardly contains chemicals other than preservatives in Aloe Vera gel (if any) this is much better for our hair than our other leave-on conditioners.
Hope you try it and love it like I did.
Please comment your reviews and queries (if any)
Share it with your friends if you like what I came up with.
Hope you have a smooth hair day all along…